Try these Simple Eye Exercises
Learn about the benefits of Eye Exercises in this article: Improve Your Vision with Eye Exercises.
List of Eye Exercises:
Simple Eye Exercise 1: Blinking
Dry eyes can lead to blurry vision, headaches and eye strain and often stem from continued TV or computer use. That’s because the average blink rate drops from 16-20 blinks per minute to 6-8 bpm while looking at a screen.
The simple way to combat this is to blink more, especially when doing computer work.
- Blink as fast as you can for a few seconds.
- Close your eyes tightly, open and repeat.
Do this exercise 3 to 4 times daily.
If you start to feel eye strain coming on – blink! This lubricates your eyes.
Simple Eye Exercise 2: – Palming
This is an eye relaxation exercise for when your eyes are feeling tired from doing work close-up.
- Cup your hands over your eyes and create a gentle pressure around the bone around the eye socket. Don’t put any pressure on your eyes.
- With your eyes closed, stare into the blackness as if you are staring into space. See how far you can focus into the distance.
- Allow all colors to fade to black – this helps “reset” your vision, allowing your eyes to relax fully and lubricate again.
Note: Do this for as long as you like, usually at least 30 seconds is needed. Your eyes will feel rejuvenated when you take your hands away!
Simple Eye Exercise 3: – Focusing
- Hold one finger a few inches away from your eye.
- Focus on the finger.
- Slowly move the finger away.
- Focus far into the distance and then back to the finger.
- Slowly bring the finger back to within a few inches of the eye.
- Focus on something more than 8 feet away.
- Repeat 3 times.
Ideally all four points are along the same line of sight so it’s just a subtle change in focus.
Spend about 1-2 seconds on each item.
Simple Eye Exercise 4: – Zooming
- Hold your thumb out at arm’s length and focus on it.
- Bring your thumb closer to you until it’s three inches in front of your eyes, maintain focus.
- Move your thumb out again.
Do this for a few minutes to strengthen your focusing skills.