,Take the Quiz to see if you know about the Grains Group…
Nutrition Education Series
In this quiz we are going to learn more about why the grains group is important to good overall nutrition. And why eating Grains is so good for you and the overall role it plays in your diet. This may be tougher than the previous quizzes, but no worries, we’ve got your back! Complete the quiz, then scroll down for more information about each question. Have fun!
Now Don’t Peek at the Answers Below…
Until you’ve finished the Quiz!
Scroll down for answers….
1. Any food made from wheat, rice, oats, cornmeal, barley, or another cereal grain is in the Grains Group.
The correct answer is TRUE.
Foods made from these grains – which include bread, pasta, oatmeal, breakfast cereals, tortillas, and grits – are examples of foods in the Grains Group. Grain products with high levels of solid fats and/or added sugars (e.g., donuts, cakes) should be chosen less often.
2. Folate (from foods such as spinach and black-eyed peas) and folic acid (from fortified foods such as enriched grains and from supplements) are especially important for which of the following groups?
The correct answer is WOMEN OF CHILDBEARING AGE.
Women of childbearing age who may become pregnant should consume adequate folate from foods, and in addition 400 mcg (micrograms) of synthetic folic acid from fortified foods or supplements. This reduces the risk of several serious birth defects.
3. What is the most common Grains Group food eaten in the United States?
The correct answer is BREAD.
Bread is the most common food from the Grains Group eaten in the United States.
4. What is the best way to know that the bread you are buying is a whole-grain bread?
The correct answer is ANY INGREDIENT INCLUDES THE WORD “WHOLE”
You cannot rely on the color or texture of a bread to show that it is a whole grain. Look for the word “whole” in the ingredient list. Breads labeled with the words “multi-grain,” “stone-ground,” “100% wheat,” “cracked wheat,” “seven-grain,” or “bran” are usually not whole-grain products. Whole grain examples (for grain products in general, not necessarily bread) include brown rice, oatmeal, popcorn, quinoa, rolled oats, whole-grain barley, whole-grain corn, whole oats, whole rye, whole wheat, and wild rice.
5. What food made from grains is pictured?
The correct answer is PITA BREAD.
Pita is a flatbread that is normally made from refined wheat, but may be made with whole wheat. Check the ingredients list for the words “whole grain” or “whole wheat” to decide if they are made from whole grains. Some foods may be made from a mixture of whole and refined grains.
6. Refined grains are grains that have been milled, a process that removes the bran and germ. This is done to give grains a finer texture and improve their shelf life, but it also removes dietary fiber, iron, and many B vitamins. Which of these foods is a refined grain?
The correct answer is WHITE RICE.
White rice is a refined grain. Choose brown rice, wild rice, or quinoa for a whole grain alternative to white rice.
7. The Grains Group could also be called the Carbohydrate Group because all foods that contain carbohydrates are in the Grains Group.
The correct answer is FALSE.
Though carbohydrates (“carbs”) are present in all foods in the Grains Group, carbohydrates are also present in the other food groups (fruits, vegetables, proteins, and dairy foods) as dietary fibers, sugars, and starches.
8. Many people do not eat the recommended amount of whole grains. To eat more whole grain foods, you should just add more of them to what you already eat.
The correct answer is FALSE.
Making some substitutions such as eating whole-wheat bread instead of white bread or having brown rice instead of white rice, can add important whole grains to your diet.
9. About how much of the grains group you eat should be whole grains?
The correct answer is ONE HALF.
“Make at least half your grains whole grains” is a key nutrition message and the Dietary Guidelines for Americans. Among several other nutrients, such as selenium and B vitamins, whole grains provide fiber which has been linked to reducing blood levels of cholesterol, which reduces heart disease risk.
10. Which of these grains group products is available in both refined and whole grain varieties?
The correct answer is ALL OF THE ABOVE.
Grain products are available in refined and whole grain varieties. Check the ingredient list for terms like “whole grain,” “whole cornmeal,” or “whole wheat” to help you choose food products made from whole grains. Foods can be made from a mixture of whole grains and refined grains.
We hope you enjoyed the quiz and learned something about the grains group. Thank you for the opportunity to share this important information about the role the grains group plays in our overall nutrition. Find a few good recipes for Nutritious Grain Recipes!
Wishing you the best of health!
Join over a thousand people who are following us to learn more about staying healthy and the importance of their nutritional habits. Need inspiration? Sign Up to receive periodic emails from us focused on helping you take care of your health.
Please know that we respect your privacy (we would NEVER sell your information) and we’ll guard your inbox as if it were our own…