Nutritious and Healthy Fruit Recipes
As you may have recently finished the Fruit Quiz, we thought you might like some tasty and nutritious Fruit Recipes. Remember, you can always experiment by adding or changing ingredients. Have fun and enjoy!
Nutrition Education Series
Apple Pistachio Crisp Fruit-based desserts can contribute to making half your plate fruits and veggies. True to their name, Honeycrisp apples are sweet and crunchy, perfectly delicious raw, but also ideal in baking.
Nutritious & Healthy Fruit Recipes
Apple Pistachio Crisp
Fruit-based desserts can contribute to making half your plate fruits and veggies. True to their name, Honeycrisp apples are sweet and crunchy, perfectly delicious raw, but also ideal in baking. And their sweetness lends potential to reducing added sugar, as we did with this apple crisp.
Apple Pistachio Crisp
- 3 apples (such as Honeycrisp, cored and cut into 1” chunks and unpeeled)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup old fashion oats
- 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 cup pistachios (unsalted, chopped)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or butter (melted)1 pound ground beef
- Place rack in center of oven and preheat to 350 ºF.
- Place sliced apples, raisins, and lemon juice in 8” x 8” pan or baking dish; toss.
- In a bowl, mix remaining ingredients except melted margarine.
- Add melted margarine and mix until texture is consistent. Sprinkle over apple-raisin mixture.
- Bake uncovered 45-50 minutes or until apples are tender.
Fruit Recipes – Chicken Waldorf Salad
This recipe is a perfectly delicious way to use leftover chicken. With just 15 minutes of prep time, this recipe will be ready in a snap. No leftovers? Use the quick tip below for poaching boneless, skinless chicken breasts. You can also use store-bought rotisserie chicken. If you do, keep in mind that it’s already salty and omit the salt in the dressing.
Chicken Waldorf Salad
- 1 medium red apple, diced
- 1/3 cup low-fat mayonnaise
- 1 cup halved red or green grapes
- 1/3 cup nonfat or low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups chopped cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup sliced celery
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, divided (toasted if desired)
- Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, lemon juice and salt in a large bowl.
- Add chicken, apple, grapes, celery and half of the walnuts. Stir to coat well.
- Serve topped with the remaining walnuts.
Notes Quick Tip: If you want cooked chicken in a hurry, the easiest way to cook it is to poach it (one pound of raw boneless, skinless chicken breasts yields about 2½ cups chopped or shredded cooked chicken).
- Place boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a skillet or saucepan.
- Add lightly salted water (or chicken broth) to cover and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer gently until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink in the middle (approx. 10-15 minutes).
Source: Eating Well Magazine
Fruit Recipes – Apple Banana Salad with Peanuts
Enjoy a fresh, flavorful change of pace with a surprising mix of lettuce, apples, and bananas, topped with a paprika dressing. This is a quick, easy meal for a busy day.
Apple Banana Salad with Peanuts
- 5 cups lettuce mix
- 2 ripe bananas
- 2 1/2 medium apples, sliced (14 oz. of sliced apples)
- 3/4 cup unsalted dry roasted peanuts
- 1/3 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 2 tablespoons fat-reduced mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- Whisk together dressing ingredients.
- Slice bananas.
- In a large salad bowl, toss mixed greens, banana and apple slices, peanuts, and dressing.
Tips on how to select and store bananas:
Choose bananas that are slightly green on the stem and tip. They should be firm, without bruises. Store unripe bananas at room temperature. Store ripe bananas in refrigerator for up to two weeks; peel may turn black
Do you have some favorite Fruit Recipes?
Tell us about your favorite fruit recipe. What do you like about it? Is it healthy or a decadent treat?
You might also like…
Thank you for spending part of your day with us. We hope you enjoy these nutritious fruit recipes and our Quiz series. Wishing you the best of health!