Easy Squash Recipes
Wondering what to make for dinner tonight? Try these easy squash recipes for a meal of hot soup and delicious stew. They don’t just taste great, but they are healthy and low in calories too. You can’t go wrong with squash. Try these recipes with butternut squash (my favorite) or try your favorite squash instead.
Squash Recipes – Curried Squash Stew
Source: USDA Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion Calories: 234 per 1 1/2 cup
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 yellow onion (peeled and chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (peeled and minced)
- 1 celery stalk (including leaves, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 large zucchini (or 2 small)
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 3 cups butternut squash
- 1 can 14.5 ounce low sodium diced tomatoes (including liquid)
- 1 can 15.5 ounce low sodium white beans or chickpeas (drained and rinsed)
Squash Recipes – Squash Soup
Source: University of Connecticut, Cooperative Extension, From the Farm to the Table, p.12, Hispanic Health Council
Calories: 127 per 1/6 serving
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 onions (medium, chopped)
- 5 cups chicken or vegetable broth, low sodium
- 2 carrots (medium, chopped)
- 4 cups winter squash (cooked)
- 2 garlic cloves (minced) -1 cup tomato puree (canned)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons oregano (dried)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons basil (dried)
- In a large saucepan, warm oil over medium heat.
- Stir in onions, carrots and garlic.
- Cook for about 5 minutes, covered.
- Stir in the tomato puree, chicken broth, cooked squash, and herbs.
- Bring soup to a simmer and cook, covered, for 30 minutes.
What Other Fresh Produce is In Season?
Squash is delicious baked and adds a unique taste and texture to soups and stews. To find out what fruits and vegetables are in season, try these resources:
What is Winter Squash?
|Acorn Squash||Buttercup Squash||Butternut Squash||Carnival Squash||Delicata Squash||Hubbard Squash||Spaghetti Squash||Pumpkin|
Learn more about:
Thank you for spending time with us today. Wishing you the best of health!
Interested in Nutrition?