Sounds simple – right? We wish it was but unfortunately it’s not. This quote by Zig Ziglar is so true:
You don’t have to be great to start,
but you have to start to be great.” – Zig Ziglar
Anything we want, we work hard for and that makes the reward even sweeter. Look, we know it’s tough to get started, but your commitment to lifetime health is extremely important to your quality of life. Think about your golden years – will you still be active?
Physical activity and exercise are a big part of that commitment and should be a part of your day, every day. As Dr. Mike says in this video, you have 23 1/2 hours to yourself and 30 minutes to taking care of yourself – that’s all it takes. Watch 23 ½ Hours – a great video to watch from Dr. Mike:
You know that when you exercise you have to watch your form, breathe properly and drink lots of water. We’ll review these tips below. And you know that if you are just starting to exercise or haven’t been in a while, it is important to talk with your doctor before starting. Why? Because he/she is familiar with any challenges you may have (genetics, existing conditions, medications, etc.) and your first goal should be to prevent injury.
You’ll want to discuss the type of exercises you plan on doing. In other words, let your Doctor know if you plan on running your first 26 mile marathon at 90 – yes, that would be crazy and most of the Do’s and Don’t surrounding exercise make sense. See if you agree with the list below. Do you have any exercise Do’s or Don’ts that you are passionate about?
Thoughts on Personal Trainers
You would be smart to hire a personal trainer to help you get started. Certified trainers (your local gym should have some on staff) are very knowledgeable. They will answer your questions and show you exactly what to do. It is a little daunting to try to read an exercise, or look at a picture and perform an exercise effectively. Also, don’t hesitate to hire a trainer for a refresher session to keep you on track or show you an exercise you wanted to try.
Have a list of questions to ask the trainer that will make it easier to remember what to do after your sessions are over.
Questions to Ask Your Trainer:
- What muscles am I working?
- What is the muscle pair (read #15 below for more info.). When the sessions are over you’ll want to work both the muscle and it’s pair in the same session.
- Do they have a list of the exercises you are doing (see if they are on our Exercise page and print them out for reference later) or will they allow you to take notes for later reference?
Can you think of any other questions?
15 tips to think of with every workout you do…
- Be sure to Eat something within an hour of waking up – even if it’s a half banana. This will stimulate your metabolism. Especially before exercising.
- Do each of the 4 main types of exercise weekly:
- Warm up before and Cool down after exercising.
- Eat some protein after strength training. This will help build muscles.
- Stay hydrated – drink lots of water.
- Unless you are performing Endurance exercises, do your exercises slowly.
- When you exercise, if you are doing core exercises, do those first.
- Begin with 8 reps and work your way to 20, then after a few months, switch to a new exercise. This will keep it interesting and you’ll have a better chance of working more muscles over time.
- Watch your form – be sure your posture, hands and feet are placed correctly for that exercise.
- Breathe in (inhale) on exertion (the hard part) to give your muscles the oxygen they need.
- Cool down before taking a shower after strenuous exercising.
- Stop if you are in pain. Pain is your body’s way of saying that something is wrong.
- Exercise each major muscle group each week for strength.
- Prevent muscle imbalance by exercising opposing muscles. Work your muscles in pairs abs and lower back, hamstrings and quadriceps, biceps and triceps; back and chest – read these articles for more information The Muscles You Should be Exercising, Core and The Muscles You Should be Exercising, Core.
It all starts with your commitment and we sincerely hope you Just Start today! Let us know what you think, your thoughts are important to us. Wishing you the best of Health!