Brisk walking, sometimes also referred to as speed walking, is a type of exercise where a person walks quickly in order to increase the heart rate and get in shape. It can be a great way to lose weight and increase physical fitness, and is very easy to do.
|~ bing.com – brisk walk|
Brisk walking is great exercise, and like other endurance exercises, it can increase your heart rate and breathing. Endurance exercises keep you healthy, improves your fitness, and helps you do the tasks you need to do every day. If walking for the recommended 30 minutes a day is difficult for you, try walking for 10 minutes at a time, three times a day. As your endurance improves try walking for longer periods until you can advance to a single 30-minute walk. Be sure to be patient – it may take several weeks before you feel your progress.
As your walk becomes easier, add new challenges, such as climbing a small hill, extending the time you walk, increasing your walking pace, or adding an additional day of walking.
Also keep in mind that step counters can help you keep track of your walking, set goals, and measure your progress.
Most inactive people get fewer than 5,000 steps a day, and some very inactive people get only 2,000 steps a day, so try to be more active than someone who is inactive. You may be getting more walking that you realize – you can track your steps by wearing a step counter for a few days to see how you’re doing. And be sure to record your progress – download our weekly workout journal to record your steps.
If you get:
- Fewer than 5,000 steps a day, gradually add 3,000 to 4,000 more steps a day.
- About 8,000 steps a day, you’re probably meeting the recommended activity target.
- 10,000 or more steps a day, you can be confident that you’re getting an adequate amount of endurance activity.
- 10,000 steps a day comfortably, try for 15,000 steps a day, which would put you in the high activity group.
Be sure to wear sturdy shoes that give you proper footing.
The right clothes and shoes can fit your individual style. Wearing workout clothes you like can be a great motivator!
Be sure you are comfortable – check out some of the amazon active wear! Read on for more information.
Here are some products to help you calculate your steps (click image to see more info):
Fitness Shoes and Clothes
Choosing the right clothing and shoes for the exercise and physical activity you plan to do is important.
You want to make sure your clothes and footwear are both comfortable and safe for you to be active. It’s good to try on several items to make sure you have the proper fit. Here are a few things to keep in mind as you shop.
- Choose shoes that are made for the type of physical activity you want to do.
- Look for shoes with flat, non-skid soles, good heel support, enough room for your toes, and a cushioned arch that’s not too high or too thick.
- Make sure the shoes fit well and provide proper support for your feet.
- Check your shoes regularly and replace them when they’re worn out.
- You need new shoes when:
- The tread is worn out
- Your feet feel tired after activity
- Your shins, knees, or hips hurt after activity
- Choose clothes that work with your activity. Loose shorts are perfect for basketball, but maybe not for yoga.
- Make sure your exercise clothes are comfortable and let you move easily.
- In cold weather, wear layers, such as a jacket or top over a t-shirt, so you can take off layers as you warm up.
- Wear clothes that let air circulate and moisture evaporate.
Thank you for visiting with us today. Wishing you the very best of health!
Source: NIH Go4Life