Do you sit for long periods of time?
Most professionals sit in the same position at their desk for long periods of time. Too long. And I’m guessing that you may be in that group too. And I’m sure you’ve read many articles about getting up from your desk more often, and maybe a few books too. But has that gotten you up from your chair on a regular basis the way you should? If you are like me, chances are, probably not. So, maybe what we can do is create an Ergonomic work environment.
What is an Ergonomic work environment?
Ergonomics is the science of designing a job, equipment and/or workplace to fit the worker. The goal is to optimize the “fit” between each worker and his or her work environment to optimize performance and reduce the risk of repetitive strain injuries.
Don’t sit or stand too long
Now there are compelling reasons why you shouldn’t sit for long periods of time. And the same can be said for standing too long. But the position of your body in relation to your work environment is important too. This can be covered in one word – Ergonomics.
We found a good article that explains ergonomics and give tips for proper positioning to help you to stay pain-free. Computer Ergonomics by Gary Heiting, OD.
Here are the government guidelines for computer ergonomics:
- Top of computer monitor at or just below eye level
- Head and neck balanced and in-line with torso
- Shoulders relaxed
- Elbows close to body and supported
- Lower back supported
- Wrists and hands in-line with forearms
- Adequate room for keyboard and mouse
- Feet flat on the floor
Self-check throughout the day
So now that you know about ergonomics and it’s at the top of your mind. Start now to incorporate the Tips into your work environment. Take a periodic self-check throughout the day to consciously note if you are slouching, leaning forward or your bending your neck. Don’t delay – do this immediately. Also see the Foot Rest and Foot Massage to start feeling good right away.
And if you do want to take it to the next level and try something new or your Dr. is recommending a change, we’ve compiled a few options to help you think about what best suits your needs. We don’t want you to spend your hard-earned money on something that goes unused ( I’ve had a treadmill full of cloths and best intentions! ). See if you can narrow down what options are ‘must haves’ for you by reading below.
Consider before buying…
No matter what, this is a personal decision and here are some things to consider before making a change to your work environment:
- Ergonomics – do you have aches and pains that may be related to the quality of your chair or the position of your body when working? Depending on what hurts, you may want to adjust the chair you use, or adjust how you sit.
- Can you easily change from one type of desk to another? For example – sitting to standing and back to sitting. If this is disruptive and hinders your ability to focus on your work, you probably won’t change it up or down very often. Be sure you look for a desk that is simple to move up and down easily and can be done quickly (w/o tools or someone else’s help or moving everything off the desktop).
- What other products do you need? For example – if you buy a standing desk, you’ll want to have a soft mat to stand on – this will protect your legs and spine. Keep in mind that to be ‘ergonomically correct’ you should have a foot rest when sitting.
Tip: Set recurring calendar reminders to ‘switch’. In other words, stand if you are sitting, sit if you are standing – you get the picture… Or, better yet – set it to remind you to be active too so you can reap the benefits of being more active during your work day. Simply set it to take a walk and give it a fun subject and picture.
- Can you think of any other types?
You Might Like…
Customer Review: “This is an incredible read. Dr Levine is well-spoken and uses wit, and would be enjoyable even if he were re-writing the phone book. …doesn’t re-hash anything…”
The Office Workout 75 Exercises you can do at your Desk
Customer Review: “WOW. This is a unique book, in that the exercises here can be done while working AND more importantly without disturbing anyone in your workplace.
|Deskbound: Standing Up to a Sitting World
by Kelly Starrett
|Thinking about a Standing Desk? A Guide to Improve Your Work Wellness by Shani Soloff
Read This First, to be sure it’s right for you!
|You’ll Stand And You’ll Like It
||Computer Ergonomics 7 Easy Ways to Stay Healthy at Your Desk
|Stand up for your Health!
||Exercise while sitting at your Desk
Be kind to your feet!
Steppie Balance Board
Standing Desk Mat
Adjustable Height w/Monitor Mount
Travel Stand Up Desk
Dual Monitor Stand Up
Elevated Laptop Stand
Adjustable Height Retractable Keyboard
Pre-assembled Adjustable Desk
Office Chairs & Accessories…
|Balance Ball Chair
||Lumbar Support Chair
Cycle While You Work!
Which desk is right for you?
So, now that you know the options, think about the type of work you do. What items do you need at your fingertips? Would you be ok with bending down to get them when the desk is in Standing mode?
- computer, iPad or Surface
- dual-monitors (or three)
- phone or other devices and/or chargers?
- water bottle, or coffee / tea-cup
- stapler, paper clip holder, tape, mouse
- pad of paper
- papers for the project at hand (room to spread out?)
- office space – can you move your chair out-of-the-way when you aren’t using it
- any other items you must have at your fingertips for a productive day
So, now that you know what to think about and what you need on top of the desk, think about whether you need them on the same level. If your computer is up on a pedestal but there’s no room for a cup or paper, then you’ll keep bending to reach for things. That would be a nuisance. So get a rough guesstimate of what you need for each level before you buy and be happy with your choice!
Best of luck with your Ergonomics and have fun choosing your next desk!
We hope you enjoyed reading this and want to thank you for taking time out of your busy day to visit us!!
PS. We know how busy you are – let us know what you are looking for. We’ll have fun shopping and we’ll add to our shopping pages. You can shop here and with a tap, you’ll hae the security and convenience of shopping on Amazon.